Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar re-cap

(Photo from tvguide.com)
This is my favorite dress at last night's ceremony. The picture doesn't really capture the color - Kate Winslett said her daughter suggested the color while eating some mint chocolate chip ice cream. Yum (for both the ice cream and the dress)

I got 14 out of the 24 categories. I got all the big ones - except best picture. I should have guessed Hollywood wouldn't go for the feel-good film "Little Miss Sunshine." And I can't believe I missed best animated short film - how could "The Danish Poet" not win??

As for the show, well. Long is how I'd describe it. I ended up retiring at 11 pm - hit the quick record button for 90 minutes, figuring that was plenty of time. Almost wrong - the recording cuts off just as the closing credits roll. Phew. And the first three hours were interminable - they really need to limit the time somehow! I liked Ellen DeGeneres as host - she is just so darn likable that it's hard to find fault.

I guess my biggest complaint is about the nominees themselves. For many years, I prided myself on seeing every film that got nominated for a major award. Not so this year - by choice. Some of them are plain depressing, or just don't appeal to me. I will not see "Babel," "Letters from Iwo Jima," "The Last King of Scotland," or "Volver." On the other hand, I enjoyed the ones I saw, notable "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen," and "The Departed." Maybe you just become pickier or more discerning as you age. Or just unwilling to waste two or three hours on a film!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home