Thursday, June 07, 2007

Even hotter in Oakland

AP Photo by Marcio Jose Sanchez

Curt Schilling has become our stopper. This year, the Sox are 5-0 in games Schilling starts the day after a loss. (I know - I sound like a stat-head, which I'm not). So I had some confidence going into this afternoon's game that our 4 game losing streak would end. But I was not prepared for the incredible performance by Mr. Schill.

8 2/3 inning of no-hit ball. Yes, he fell one out short of a no-hitter. He would have become the 3rd oldest pitcher to perform that feat - the others are Nolan Ryan and Cy Young. Pretty august company. I'm sure he's disappointed - plenty of people on the field, in the stands, and sitting at home in Red Sox Nation were, too. But what a game. I kept thinking, no way can this last. But the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th passed. Suddenly, I'm getting tense. 7th inning. Exhorting the offense to please give us some insurance runs. 8th inning. At that point, I'm freaking out. Sucking on a big old vodka tonic, grazing through the kitchen - trying not to do anything to jinx it. Bottom of the 9th - one out. Two outs. Can this really be happening? Am I going to be able to say I saw this live? And then - Curt shakes off a pitch, Shannon Stewart swings, and there goes the no-hitter.

But Curt shook himself, threw a few more pitches, and the Red Sox came away with the win, 1-0. It ends the skid. And he did with only 100 pitches.

But more importantly, I think this could be the thing that stirs our team back into action. Ortiz said after last night's game that he felt the team lacked energy. Not anymore, I'd say.

Oh, and Curt might have just gotten some ammo for those contract negotiations. Yes, the reports of his decline are premature.

At least on this day.

As a sign at the game said, Who needs Roger when you've got Curt

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home