Thursday, December 15, 2005

Bye Bye Buelly

(Photo from sittingstill.net)

So, Bill Mueller signed a two-year deal with the LA Dodgers yesterday. He'll be paid $9.5 million - quite a raise in pay, as he made only $2.5 million with the Sox last year. Good for him!

I think we'll always remember two moments from Billy's career with the Sox. The first was THE game in July, 2004 - the incredible game that defined the 2004 season. The near cancellation because of weather, then the team leaders demanding that they play. The Tek-A-Rod brawl - that picture defines it all. And then Billy hitting the game-winning home run off Mariano Rivera. Simply awesome.

And of equal importance was his second head-to-head with Rivera, in game four of the ALCS. His hit up the middle to score Dave Roberts saved the game - and put the Sox on track to win the ALCS and the World Series.

On top of it all, a super professional and all-around nice guy. He was the eye of the storm in that Red Sox clubhouse, the voice of reason and professionalism. And he really won my heart when he autographed my baseball this summer. Looked me right in the eye, smiled and thanked me for supporting the team. Melt, melt....

What also struck me is that he's kinda short! Here's a photo I took of him and one of the KC Royals:

This is also one of my favorite shots - from Getty Images - they look like they're having so much fun!

So, good luck Billy. I hope that you're more appreciated and applauded than you were in Boston. Not that the Sox didn't appreciate you - but you were definitely not the superstar you should be.


Elsewhere:
I love this quote from today's Boston Herald:
Curt Schilling has been calling [manager Terry] Francona a lot — “Every time we make a move, Schill calls,” he said
Can't you just picture Schill siting around the house, drinking a beer, playing his computer games or surfing, picking up the phone and wanting to yak with Tito?
!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home