Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Test of Endurance

Heavens, I feel like I should buy a t-shirt that says "I survived that 19-inning marathon"! An amazing game today on many levels. Nineteen innings - 570 pitches thrown by the 16 pitchers. 4 solid innings of relief by Tavarez, giving up no runs. A blown save by Papelbon (we knew it had to happen one of these days) - and another blown save by Timlin.

What I found a little sad was the way US Cellular Field had emptied by the game's end. There were a lot of empty seats to witness the 19th inning heroics. I admit, I was tempted to call it quits - it was exhausting. But it got to a certain point where you REALLY want to win after putting in so much time. And I can't imagine leaving if you were there in person. It's not like the game was going on into the wee hours - it ended at 8:30 pm (actually, 7:30 their time). Still plenty of time to get home and get a good night's sleep before reporting to work Monday morning. Oh, well...

So now we've got three full days off for the All-Star Break. Not sure how much I'll watch of this Exhibition Game - probably get sucked in to the Home Run Derby, to cheer for Papi. I just read the Tom Glavine had to drop out, because he pitched today. (Are you insulted and upset, Mr McCarver?!). It'll be a nice break - but I know I'll be antsy-crazy by Thursday night's game vs. Oakland at Fenway. And....

3 weeks from tonight, I'll be in Fenway Park, watching the Red Sox and Angels play (and being broadcast on ESPN) - from the GREEN MONSTER SEATS! Yahoo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home