Monday, December 04, 2006

Review: Wordplay

I finally got a chance to see this documentary - I bought the DVD weeks ago. This doc focuses on one of my favorite time killers - the New York Times crossword puzzle. In the interest of full disclosure: I am an avid and rabid solver. I solve at least two puzzles a day - in addition to the Jumble and the Crytoquote. So this doc is right up my alley.

In addition to a history of the puzzle, it introduces us to Will Shortz, the current editor. Shortz has an army of solvers, who create the puzzles and send them to him. He then massages them - adding or changing clues and answers. The "easiest" puzzle is on Monday, with the puzzles getting progressively harder until the hardest on Sunday. The film also shows the annual puzzle solving competition in Stamford, CT.

I loved the interviews with some of the puzzle's famous fans. People like Mike Mussina (boo), Bill Clinton, the Indigo Girls, and Jon Stewart. One part that I found fascinating was the puzzle ran on election day when Clinton beat Bob Dole. There were two side by side answers, with the clue "today's headline." The way the puzzle was constructed there were two possible and correct answers: either CLINTON ELECTED or BOBDOLE ELECTED. Cool

If you are a puzzle fan, you MUST see this film! Thumbs up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home