Thursday, January 25, 2007

Yes, be warned

I caught this story on CNN this morning:

Family Asked To Leave The Plane Before Departure

In a story that's garnering a great deal of attention in the general media, three-year-old Elly Kulesza's temper tantrum got her and her parents removed from an AirTran flight preparing to depart Fort Myers, FL.

Now, I'm very sympathetic to the plight of parents travelling with small children. It's not easy (especially if you're like the woman I saw at Christmas with an infant, stroller, two carry-ons and a backpack!). But I have sat next to many a screaming kid in my time. It makes for a very, very, very long flight - one that usually ends with me having a headache. Almost as bad is when the child is in front of you and wants you to entertain them the whole flight, popping over the top of the seat and distracting you. (I try not to make eye contact from the get-go!) Whenever I see a parent and child under the age of 5 boarding, I hold my breath and silently pray that they're not next to me or in front of me. I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but I have to applaud the Air Tran crew for taking a stance. I've never flown on them, but I will strongly consider it next time I'm flying!

And don't get me started about kids who run wild in movie theaters and restaurants!

I love the end of this story:
In an interview on CNN, the Kulesza's said they've gone public with the story to warn other parents "the same thing could happen to them if their child is crying too much."

Yes, be warned. Keep your child under control or else!!

2 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

There was also this story in the Worcester Telegram...
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070121/COLUMN01/701210459/0/FRONTPAGE

... which, while written from the side of the family to an extent that makes me ill, includes this snippet:

As they waited for their flight to be called, Elly contentedly munched on a bag of Cheetos and watched out the window as the planes took off and landed.

Then came ... The Boarding. Suddenly and without warning, angelic little Elly morphed into every parents’ nightmare.

Her mom thinks it may have been because of the ear surgery Elly underwent earlier this month, and perhaps her memory of the discomfort and ear pressure she endured during the plane’s descent into Florida.


Uh, folks? Kids have trouble with ear pain due to pressure changes under the best of circumstances. You took your kid on these flights within weeks of ear surgery?!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

You took your kid on these flights within weeks of ear surgery?!

I thought the same thing when I read that article!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home