Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Opening Day

Globe photo by Jim Davis
So, before I get caught up in tonight's hoopla, I just had a few comments on yesterday's phenomenal opening game. Yes, I know that I said I hate watching taped games, but I did watch most of this one last night - after following on Gameday all afternoon. The team was clearly pumped by the crowd and the memory of Sunday night's victory, because they came out swinging. They sent the starting pitcher, Jeff Weaver, to the showers after two innings and 70 pitches. (As one blogger noted, he was on track for a 423 pitch complete game). And the bats finally showed some signs of life. Tek had 3 hits, JD Drew had 3 RBIs, and there were tons of doubles - 7 to be exact.

Of course, the game started with the always moving Opening Day Ceremonies. Team introductions, "America the Beautiful" by Harry Connick, Jr. and then the "Impossible Dream Team" of 1967 threw out the first pitch(es). It was so cool to see some the first Red Sox players I remember - Billy Conigliaro, Rico Petrocelli, Yaz. And when Johnny Pesky was introduced and yelled "Play Ball!" well, I'm sure mine wasn't the only moist eye.

So, the first home game is in the books - and it was satisfying all the way around. And now we can have our second game at home - the Fenway debut of the Japanese phenom.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home