Thursday, November 08, 2007

Schilling is Back!

I'm a little late on this one, but earlier in the week, the Red Sox and Curt Schilling agreed to a new one-year contract. Schill had said all along that he wanted to pitch one more year, and really wanted to finish his career in Boston. So, now it's done.

I hadn't realized how much I wanted him back until I heard the news on the radio driving in to school Tuesday. I literally shouted with surprise and excitement. I love the idea of seeing him finish in Boston, look forward to the day when I see #38 hoisted up on that right field wall, next to all the other Red Sox greats. Because, say what you like about him being a blowhard and sometimes self-serving, he is a great pitcher. What he did in '04 alone puts him in that pantheon. He did what he set out to do in November '03 - he came to Boston to break the curse (although I might argue that as long as Shaughnessy is writing for the Globe, the curse of him still exists), to bring a world championship to a town that had been starving for one for 86 years. And now he's helped bring a second one to the Hub.

What I especially like about this deal is that it was all worked out between Curt and Theo. No agents to muddy the water. They each brought their offers to the table, and worked through the counteroffers like gentlemen. And when both sides go on record as saying how pleased they each are with the deal, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Now, let's get Lowell wrapped up with a pretty ribbon, too.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home