Saturday, November 15, 2008

Filling the off-season

The off-season leaves me scrambling. When your life seems to have revolved around live baseball almost every evening, when there's nothing showing on NESN except "The Mad Fisherman," when the hot stove isn't making the days until Truck Day seem any closer....well, you find yourself channel surfing. And finally getting the chance to sample some of this year's new programming.

I was particularly excited to find programs featuring two of my favorite actors, actors who seem to have escaped general notice, usually appearing in supporting roles in smaller films. And as the memories of Jacoby stealing a base, Tek behind the plate, and Mikey Lowell posing at third, I've had to find alternative eye candy.

Example #1: Simon Baker, "The Mentalist"
I've admired Simon for several years. He played the rogue who tried to capture Anne Hathaway in "The Devil Wore Prada," but also totally charmed me in a small film called "Something New," playing the hot gardener who steals Sanaa Lathan's heart. In this new series, he plays a former tv psychic (think John Edwards), who goes to work for the FBI as a consultant after his wife and daughter are murdered. I really like the show! His character, Patrick Jane, uses his powers of observation to help solve cases, and the team with whom he works has a really great chemistry. The cases aren't always hard for an astute viewer to crack before the team, but the hour is really enjoyable. (And as if Simon Baker weren't enough, check out Owain Yeoman as Wayne Rigsby - yum)

Example #2: Rufus Sewell
The other show I was highly interested in seeing is "Eleventh Hour," another crime drama. It stars Rufus Sewell, who has been a favorite of mine for years. Sewell does a great smarmy, mean character - and he's done that character in film after film. So I thought it would be refreshing to see him in more of a straight role, playing Dr. Jacob Hood, the "FBI's science guy." Another damaged character, although we only know that he's widowed. (Where are all these hot widowers in real life??) I enjoy seeing him on a weekly basis, but the show has left me cold so far. It's way too talky - they seem to spend a lot of time explaining and providing background, and not enough on real action. The show may improve, if it's given time to find its feet. I'll keep watching, but it's one I can frankly watch while doing something else.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home