Friday, March 27, 2009

An outlander in the big city

I am writing from the big city. Yes, here I am in the Big Apple, New York City, heart of the Evil Empire. I'm here with my three sisters and two nieces, in honor of a big occasion. My birthday!

So far it's been fun! I arrived eight hours ahead of them, so I was able to spend a rainy Thursday afternoon at the Met. I hate to be so EuroCentric, but I spent all of my time with the American and European masters. I could look at those impressionists and John Singer Sargent all day! (Which I did). Okay, I did see the Egyptian and Asian art on my way to the bathroom.

Today (Friday) started with a long, brisk, highly intensive walk from our flat in Soho over the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a beautiful sunny morning - fantastic views of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The afternoon was spent on a walking tour of Greenwich Village with a tour from New York City Food Tours. What an awesome way to see this area. We heard about the history of the area while tasting some incredible foods. Murray's Cheese Shop! Cookies & Milk Bakery! O&Co olive oils! Snacks at the restaurant run by Leah, one of the Top Chef finalists! After all that, I needed to take a long walk through Washington Square Park, listening to future Bob Dylans strum their guitars.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring - but I know it will end with dinner at Craft, run by Tom Cocchlio, one of the Top Chef judges. Perhaps a visit to Madame Tussaud's, M&M World, some shopping...

Spending time with my sisters here in NY, well, it's a special birthday!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Have a blast, Beth.

And be sure and flip the bird at Yankee Stadium if you get the chance.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Tex said...

Moon the stadium for me!! Have more fun on your birthday weekend!!!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home