Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Get well soon, RemDawg (Part 2)

Every night during the baseball season, I invite two men into my television room. Now, now - I mean the two Red Sox announcers from NESN, Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo. I sometimes think I spend more time with them than I do some of my "real" friends. They are such a part of my Red Sox viewing experience - it's hard to imagine a game without them.

Unfortunately, NESN announced tonight on the pre-game show that Remy is taking an "indefinite" leave to recover from cancer surgery earlier this year. A lifetime smoker, Remy hopes “that disclosing my bout with cancer will reinforce the dangers of smoking to every member of Red Sox Nation, especially children.”

Many of us suspected all was not well when he missed part of Spring Training - and looked thinner when he did arrive. Then he missed some regular season games, and left the most recent road trip early. All pointed to something a bit more serious. It was sad to hear it confirmed tonight. And although I love Dennis Eckersley, and he's done a terrific job subbing, I still miss the Rem Dawg.

Hopefully he'll be well and back with us soon.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Well said, Beth. Get back soon, Remy.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog Beth. This is Trish and I work for Jerry. My email has been flooded with blogs and posts on the internet with well wishes for Jerry. I just want to thank you on behalf of The Remy Report. You can read his personal statement (if you haven' already) by copying/pasting the link below and then click on Jerry's blog. Thank you again! Trisha Curtis, The Remy Report

http://theremyreport.com/splash.cfm

9:16 PM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Hear, hear, Beth.

I quit seven years ago and my lungs are clear. Every day I think I dodged a bullet.

Hope the Remdawg did too.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I really hope so, HS! And glad you quit!!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home