Monday, June 15, 2009

Review: My Life in Ruins

I admit it: I'm a sucker for a chick flick. There's something comforting and soothing about curling up with a bowl of popcorn and watching a movie that you know will not tax you mentally or emotionally. And I also admit to buying a lot of these movies when they come out on DVD, because many stand the test of repeated viewings quite well (ex: Kate and Leopold) - the perfect accompaniment for a Sunday afternoon nap.

So, I was looking forward to the first romantic comedy of the summer: My Life in Ruins, starring Nia Vardalos from My Big Fat Greek Wedding (another one that repeats quite well). Vardalos plays Georgia, a former classical history professor who finds herself unable to get a teaching job. So, she opts to be an English speaking guide in Greece, leading groups on one of those horrible bus tours of the must-see spots. The film follows her on one such outing, with a group that includes Richard Dreyfus, Rachel Dratch, and Harland Williams - as well as a hunky bus driver played by Alexis Georgoulis, pictured above.

Of course, romance ensues, as Georgia tries to recapture her joie de vivre - or "kefi," as the Greeks would say. And it all ends up tied with a pretty bow, just as you'd expect.

What I loved most about the movie was the gorgeous Greek scenery - and I'm not just talking about Georgoulis! Vardalos arranged for many of the scenes to be filmed on site, at the Acropolis and the Temple at Delphi in particular. They are fantastic - it made me want to book a Greek holiday immediately!

I also must say, stick with the film. The first 15 minutes or so really did suck - my friend and I were thinking that we wouldn't make it through the whole thing. But then it definitely picked up steam, became funnier and more poignant. So don't give up!

So if you're looking for a good date film, or just wanted to while away a rainy afternoon, this film would be a good choice.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Love your movie reviews Beth.
Might give the Greek one a miss but I'll certainly check out The Hangover.

I think you'd love Greece but be careful about the time of year. It can get seriously hot in late July and August. Wouldn't want to be traipsing around the Acropolis in 100+ heat!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

If I went, it would be on our spring break in March!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home