Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Good Night and Good Luck

One of my friends says that I need to lay off A-Rod (she's a Braves fan, so no dog in the fight). I will just put in a link to a great article on the MVP situation by Chris Snow - those of you who know me know that I have a not-so-secret "thing" for Chris. He's a terrific writer, and a very sweet guy. I met him this summer - and he wouldn't autograph my baseball, because he said he wasn't worthy to be on it with Bill Mueller! (He signed my scorecard instead) Yes, he's like 15 years old, but... I love this:

In defeat, Ortiz nevertheless was the only player to place first or second on all 28 ballots, which are cast by two Baseball Writers Association of America members in each of the 14 AL cities. Rodriguez was denied that distinction by Gene Guidi of the Detroit Free Press, who voted 2004 MVP Vladimir Guerrero first on his ballot, ahead of Ortiz and Rodriguez.

So there.

I saw a great movie this weekend: Good Night and Good Luck. It's the George Clooney-directed film about Edward R. Murrow and his fight against Senator Joe McCarthy. Some terrific performances - including David Straithairn who I've loved since Eight Men Out - and Clooney as Fred Friendly. Some of the points the film makes about the state of television news then (and by extension, now) are so true. How tv has the chance to truly educate people, not just entertain them with junk. At the end, Murrow says tv can
"illuminate and yes, it can even inspire. But it can only do so to the extent that humans are willing to use it to those ends. Otherwise, it is merely wires and lights in a box."
Now, I'm the biggest fan going of the box. Where would I be without my Gilmore Girls, Lost, Grey's Anatomy... But I also think it can be used for more noble purposes than seeing which soap star can dance.

The other thing that struck me is the pervasive of cigarettes. I guess you could almost say that was the signature item in that area: the lit cigarette. Murrow smoked on the air, the newscasters were doing ads for them - heck, the government even included cigarettes in army mess kits. Such a stunning contrast to today - my students have been shocked by this aspect of the film. They just can't imagine it.

Stephen King has a great column in this week's Entertainment Weekly about the film. Check it out!

1 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

Gene Guidi of the Detroit Free Press

When I saw that one voter had done this, my immediate thought was that if Papi and A-Rod had split the 28 first-place votes, it could be expected that each voter would pick the other player second--but because of this voter's principled stand, in that case Papi would have won. I think he intentionally voted that way to prevent a tie. Gene Guidi, I salute you!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home