Friday, December 16, 2005

The All-Alphabet Team

One of my favorite parts of watching a baseball game is to keep score. I've got an official scorebook, and I track all the pitches, at-bats and plays. Every person who keeps score kind of has their own style, and I've spent this season fine-tuning mine. I even mark which plays get picked for the Top-10 plays on SportsCenter, what the attendance was, what the weather was like - even what funny things Remy and Orsillo discuss.

The hardest part is getting all the players' names in - especially if there are a ton of substititutions.

I pity those fans of the Kansas City Royals who keep a scorebook. Because today KC signed two of the longest, most difficult to spell names in baseball: Doug Mientkiewicz and Mark Grudzielanek! As someone on the Remy board pointed out, the KC infield now uses the entire alphabet: Minky, Grudz, Angel Berroa and Mark Teahen!

This opens up all kinds of possibilities for other acqusitions: Pierczynski, Graffanino, Garciapara...

Can't wait to hear how Jerry and Don deal with these when KC visits Fenway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home