Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Random Wednesday Thoughts

Well, thank heavens, I can finally sleep tonight. I have been ssoo concerned about whether Alex Rodriguez was going to play for the US or the Dominican in the World Baseball Classic...

What a class act that A-Rod is. One day he wants to be true to the red-white-and-blue; the next, he wants to play on the winning team (face it, the Dominican's team is stacked!) Then, he's not going to play at all. On Tuesday morning, he was on t
he preliminary roster - for the DR! Then, Tuesday afternoon, he announced that he would play - and for the Americans. Of course, it's the second time he has chosen to pass up the chance to play on a World Championship team. (Hey, I'm not unpatriotic - but, like I said, just look at that Dominican team!)

A-Rod is being universally mocked over this whole thing. A sampling: Deadspin; Joe Saraceno in USA Today, ("the most handsomely paid of the diamond merchants, Alex Rodriguez, who long ago became a businessman first and a ballplayer second."); and my favorites at the Soxaholix ("And remembah, Alex, our great nation turns it's lonely eyes to you, so don't be afraid to, you know, give it the ol' 110%, risk of injury be damned"). I was looking at a Padres MB earlier today - and even the left-coasters were ragging on him.

And speaking of ugly players , there's a discussion over at Athletics Nation about who is/was the ugliest player in MLB. Here's my vote:
That picture could scare small children.



Oh, the classy folks at MLB.com have started selling this t-shirt:
Pitiful.

Finally, it looks like the Padres have assigned numbers to their new players. Doug Mirabelli is going to remain #28 (like he was on the Sox). Mark Bellhorn (who has worn both 28 and 12 in his career) will be #29. Hey, that's just one off from MY lucky number (which happens to be 28). Now I've got to find a nice site to get me a Bellhorn player shirt! (No number yet for Millar - but there doesn't appear to be another 15 on the Orioles roster).

4 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

May lightning not strike me down for this (and may Beth not hit me!) but in fairness to A-Rod, he didn't choose not to play for the Red Sox: the players' union decided for him. He had accepted the deal. And for that we thank you, MLBPA! ^_^

I do think that he'd rather not play for the Dominican team because he wants to play somewhere he thinks he's better than everyone else.

The shirts crack me up. I'm not really a big fan of anti-Yankees gear, since to me it says we've let the Yankees get in our heads... but man, have the Sox ever returned the favor! I will admit to some envy that the Yankees got to keep together the team they had from 1996-2000, but their fans' willingness to rely on championships won before most of them were born is a hoot. I hope that when my buddy makes me sit in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium that we get to see a Damon throw go halfway to second base. I'm looking forward to starting the "John-ny Da-mon!" clap-clap-clapclapclap!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

You're right about A-Rod - but I just like to wail on him! And did you see BDD's take on the shirt today? "Welcome to NY Johnny...where overspending and failing is the new Yankee tradition" !

9:43 AM  
Blogger sittingstill said...

Oh, man... I would buy that shirt!

BDD is overflowing with great images today with the Theo news. ^_^

10:11 AM  
Blogger sittingstill said...

Only just saw this:

Alex Rodriguez changed his mind and decided to play in the World Baseball Classic — for the United States — because of his status in the sport, The New York Times reported Friday.

"At the end of the day, I realized how important it was for me to play because of the position that I have in the game," the New York Yankees third baseman told the newspaper. "When I looked at that, I felt I needed to be there."


Uh, yeah, Alex...

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home