Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Some Random Sox Notes

I was going to do my picks for 2005's top flicks today, but I don't have the energy to do it tonight. Maybe tomorrow! In the meantime, a few Sox thoughts.

Interesting article here about Doug Mirabelli and his place on his new team, the Padres. It sounds like he's excited about playing every day -
"I've always been that guy who has been a backup catcher who felt I could start every day," Mirabelli said. "I've never had that opportunity, and I have a little chip on my shoulder. I have something to prove."
It also sounds like we might see a buffer version of the "stud who hits bombs" -
In appreciation of "that carrot in front of me," Mirabelli has ramped up his offseason conditioning to ready himself for the rigors of regular catching. He's pursuing greater mobility through agility drills and treadmill work and hopes to develop enough durability to catch 100 games for the first time in his career
Hey, no mention of his new teammate, Mark Bellhorn. Wonder if he's buffing up too. Ooo, yummy prospect!

Speaking of yummy, check out the gallery of photos on redsox.com, from this weekend's Hot Stove Cool Music concert. Oh, that Lenny DiNardo could be a new fav! And my Bronson...

And, more sad Hall of Fame news for Jim Rice. Again, passed over for induction into the Hall. Darn shame. He's only got two more years of eligibility. I wonder what the problem is. His numbers make him worthy. I know he was surly with the press, and there could be some leftover bad feelings among the Baseball Writers (who vote on the inductees). I feel pretty certain the veterans' committee will right the wrong if Rice gets passed over by the Writers. But it's a disgrace that he should have been left waiting so long. (And how could they elect Bruce Sutter, and pass over Goose Gossage??)

From redsox.com:

The main reason, it seems, that Rice has been unsuccessful to this point is that his career totals aren't spectacular when compared to the majority of Hall of Fame sluggers. He produced 382 home runs, 2,452 hits and 1,451 RBIs to go along with a .298 average in 2,089 games.

It brings up the age-old debate: What means more -- dominance or longevity?

Apparently, the Writers think longevity is more important.

1 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

It's easy to forget just how handsome Lenny is. Well, until you see him up close two days in a row! ^_^

I finally remembered how to extract picture from the slideshow, so if you need any of them, let me know.

Tough news on Jim Ed. I do think he belongs in the Hall, but at the same time, I do think it should be very, very hard to get in. But I will be livid if he doesn't get in and McGuire does...

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home