Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006!

Wow, hard to believe it's 2006. I remember as a kid thinking that at the end of the century I would be incredibly old. And yet, here we are 6 years beyond that...and I still don't feel old!

I was lucky to see the new year in with some great, close friends. I think I've seen the new year in with them for, what , ten years?! We have a great, comfortable routine. Drinks and appetizers at my friend Bill's house - a chance to get caught up with what has transpired over the Christmas break. Then we stroll across the street (literally!) to my house for dinner and the new year's celebration. We usually drag out a board game to kill the time till midnight - and we always make up our own rules. Tonight, it was Taboo. We see in the new year, then head home to bed! I always feel so OLD!!

A great meal - baked ziti, caesar salad, bread - dessert was individual pound cakes with chocolate or raspberry topping. Yum. Hors d'oevres were veggies, cheese ball and weenies en croute (I love those!!). Some nice red wine, champagne, kirs...the best.

So, any resolutions for the new year? I really don't think so. I'd like to travel more - I've already resolved to see the Sox play in a few venues beyond Fenway. To get back "on program" immediately - I've been quite lax in counting points and even journaling.

I asked my friends what their absolute highlight to the year was. Mine came instantly to mind - it was July 31st at Fenway Park. Manny coming in as a pitch-hitter - after surviving the trade deadline - to drive in the game winning RBI. One of the most dramatic moments in the annals of the 2005 Sox - and I was lucky enough to witness it in person. I get goose bumps just remembering it - the swell of the crowd's "Manny -- Manny -- Manny" cheer - even with Ortiz still standing in the box waiting on his intentional walk. Man, I hope to have the opportunity to witness another such moment - to feel the wave of emotions coming off the crowd, all focused on one player.

I'm not sure Manny will have any other such moments in Fenway - the latest rumors are of a 4-team deal that will eventually land Tejada in Fenway and Manny at Camden Yards. But "for that brief shining moment," he was the king of Boston....

Low points of the year? Losing my dad in October is the stand-out. Something I'm still grappling with. It's kind of a turning point in your life - marks you as a real adult. Makes you evaluate you relationships with your sibs - have to find new ground on which to meet and relate. And I think it makes you appreciate them all the more. I couldn't have made it without their support.

Randomly - now playing on my iPod - "Sweet Caroline" - woo woo woo - good times never seemed so good!
Happy New Year!