Monday, October 23, 2006

Oh, Eric



In that wonderful winter of our content - 2004 - I would sometime while away the time until Spring Training by watching the Best Damn Sports Show (desperation will drive you to all sorts of insane time killers). One week, Kevin Millar guested - oh, how glorious! And also on the show were Barry Zito and Eric Byrnes. In my delirium over KM, I somehow became delusional - and thought Byrnes was charming and kind of a hottie.

Luckily, my sanity returned sometime during the spring of 2005 - and I realized my error. Still, part of me kind of followed him as he journed around the league, although when he went to the D-Backs this year, he fell off my radar.

Until, that is, the other night. I tuned in to "Baseball Tonight" and there he was. And - OMG - what the hell has happened to him?? I always thought he looked a little like Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," but now he's acting like him too!
And now he's migrated over to the Fox Pre-Game show. Interesting contrast to Jeannie Zelasko and Kevin Kennedy. Last night he was clearly hopped up on something - animatedly rambling on about things that he was reading from his notes - he didn't even look over his notes discreetly, it was blatantly obvious.

The fellow over on Roar of the Tigers had it right. He saw Byrnes strolling around prior to the broadcast:
ha ha, oh eric byrnes, the long black jacket is incapable of classing up that dead echidna on your noggin
In case you've never seen one, here is an echidna. It's native to Australia - I snapped this photo when I visited Syndey two years ago:You've got to admit, there is a slight resemblance! Although I think the echidna might offer more insightful commentary.

Who's your tiger? I'm not quite sure yet - I'm kinda partial to Jim Leyland, really. But whoever your favorite is, you can look like them! The Detroit Free Press offers this page - where you can download and print a mask of your favorite Tiger. Enjoy!