Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Random Wednesday Thoughts

AP Photo by Adrian Wyld
Mid-week greetings!
1) The second tough game for Daisuke in a row. The Blue Jays - and Gustavo Chacin - beat the Red Sox last night in Toronto, 2-1. It was a strange game, in that it felt like a much bigger lead. I was taken aback when I considered wearily turning off the tv in the 8th, and realizing that we were still only one run down. But we just couldn't seem to muster the offense to bail out Matsuzaka. (all except Wily Mo Pena, who sent one 500 yards!) Which leads me to...

2) Matsuzaka. Yeah, I know he's 1-2 now on the year. But I am still really encouraged by what I'm seeing. Granted, he seemed to have a total meltdown during the fourth inning last night - walking in Greg Zaun to put the Jays ahead. But he somehow regrouped and struck out the side in the 5th. He ended with a total of 10 strikeouts (the last rookie pitcher to have two 10-strikeout games this early in the season was Fernando Valanzuela!). I think he's still adjusting to America, to the Majors, and to his new team. Heck, it took Beckett nearly a year to find himself after just switching to the American League! So, I'm not out on any ledges yet. And his next two starts will be intense - Sunday night vs. the Yankees, and then Friday night at Yankee Stadium. If he thinks he heard some taunts from the crowd last night...

3) Great stuff from Edes today:

Red Sox manager Terry Francona was astounded yesterday to learn of a common practice in Japanese baseball known as "kantoku show," in which a manager doles out cash to players he considers deserving of a little bonus after a victory. Something extra in the envelope, for example, for Daisuke Matsuzaka.

"You're kidding me," Francona said when told of the "manager prize," as it is translated, according to an article in yesterday's New York Times. "That's not happening here, with what he gets."

"It should be the other way around," he said with a laugh. "If I manage a good game, he should give me something."

Plus think about the salary disparity between Matsu and Tito!

4) Also some interesting things on the NESN broadcast last night, talking about how different the relationship is between player and manager in Japan vs. the US. I guess Matsu is having to learn different interpersonal skills - is even having a hard time calling the manager "Tito."

5) Tonight it's Wakefield on the mound for the Sox. I love this shot of him from the "Fever Pitch" premiere...
I hope those bats have been drinking coffee today and are alert!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home