Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh, Captain, OUR Captain

Photo by Elsa/Getty Images
Jason Varitek has really been struggling offensively of late, and is being ridden hard by the 'EEI-type fan boys. But I know his value is way beyond what his batting average shows. The way he works with the pitching staff, his preparation for every start - I can't imagine there is a better prepared catcher in baseball today. Those who don't understand his value (see: Tom Jones of the St. Petersburg Times) mock the "C" he wears with pride on his chest. But we know he is the Captain, the one who provides direction to the team, provides a positive voice for our often-maligned bullpen. I hear he has a few personal issues he's dealing with right now, and that might be affecting his offensive production, but he is still providing leadership. Look at that photo above - encouraging Okajima, who I think needs as much encouragement and positive affirmeation he can get.

So, here's to the Captain!

And for more Manny fun, another Elsa photo from yesterday's game:
I wonder if that's one of Big Papi's Vitamin Waters?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Great post.

Tek is very deserving of the "C".

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ted D said...

Beth, having a guy like Tek behind the plate is how Matsuzaka has a 10-1 record. I can't imagine how many times the right call got 'Zaka out of one of his bases loaded jams.

That picture of Manny and the Gatorade slays me; I love the fact he's having fun.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home