Friday, May 08, 2009

RIP Dom DiMaggio

In 2005, I received a grant from my school - a "renewal" grant. It was an opportunity to study one subject for a period of time in the summer, a chance to pursue something fun in order to renew my professional and personal enthusiasm. I chose a week in Boston - 6 Red Sox games (plus a PawSox game) in 7 days. It was awesome!!

Part of the plan was to read from a rather lengthy list of books - to give me background on my subject and contribute to the overall learning experience. I read a ton of books, but the one that stands out to me is "The Teammates" by David Halberstam. It's the story of four Red Sox teammates - Johnny Pesky, Dom DiMaggio, Bobby Doerr, and Ted Williams. Halberstam accompanied the first three on their final journey to visit Williams, who was dying. I was really moved by the story - how their friendship survived war, injury and the Yankees.

So, I was so sad to hear about the passing of the second of the four friends, Dom DiMaggio. For the casual fan, he'll mostly be remembered as the brother of Joe Dimaggio. But he is a legend for Red Sox fans. "The Professor." One of the best centerfielders we've had, one robbed of true greatness because he spent 3 years serving his country in WWII. The Sox have saluted him tonight with a moment of silence, and with the #7 mowed into the outfield grass.

We mourn another member of the Greatest Generation. I hope you've found a great game up there, Dom.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Trot's Hat said...

Thanks for the great post, Beth--I hope wherever he is, Dom enjoyed seeing his number in the grass last night. That made me really happy. Your project sounds amazing!

6:16 AM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Count me among those who only knew him as Joe's brother. Shame on me. I plan to pick up some books while I'm in Boston; Halberstam's would be a good start by the sound of it.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home