Thursday, October 08, 2009

Wednesday Dine Out: Table 2


One of our local radio stations runs a promotion they call "50/50 Fridays." You can go online at 9am on any Friday, and purchase a gift certificate for half-price. Sometimes it's for a restaurant - which is how I acquired a $50 gift certificate for Table 2. I bought it back in the spring, then set it aside for a "special occasion." My friend Jackie reminded me about it a few weeks ago, and suggested I look at the expiration date. Lo and behold, it expired on October 10th - so I decided that I best use it this week for my Wednesday dining out night. And what an excellent decision that was! It was undoubtedly the best meal I've had so far on this journey.

I really did try to get to the restaurant later - didn't arrive until nearly 6pm. There were two tables occupied on the outside patio, and one inside. So I had my pick of them. The decor is cool, as you can see from the photo above from their website. When you enter, you pass thru a long drapery, and all of the booths are draped (although I've never seen them closed!) I actually sat at the second table to the left in the above photo.

They were offering a five course "tasting" menu for $60 - but I decided that was too much food for me. So I ordered a simple spinach salad and one of the night's specials: Kobe Flatiron Steak, Warm German Potato Salad, Mustard Aioli, Asparagus, Port Demi Glace.

As I was enjoying a cocktail and awaiting the first course, I had a great visit with one of my former students who is now a chef at Table 2. He's had a great career so far at several local restaurants, and is getting ready to go to France in February for a year to cook. He said, oh, let me send you a little something special, and slipped off to the kitchen. So after my salad, the waiter brought over an appetizer for me to try - some grilled duck, sliced and placed on a bed of veggies. Yum! And then came the main course. Oh, my! The steak simply melted in my mouth; the demi glace sauce was wow; and the potato salad and asparagus were perfect accompaniments. And with a glass of red wine...it was wonderful.

These Wednesday dinners have also proven wonderful for my soul. After a stressful few days, how great it is to relax with a wonderful meal and a wonderful glass of wine. It's a signal to my body that it can start to wind down for the weekend.

So, this Friday, those half price coupons will be offered again - and I'll be online quickly to pick up a couple. I can't wait to go back, although if I go solo again, I think I'll sit at the chef's table right by the kitchen. It would be a great spot to watch all the action in the kitchen!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Sounds great, Beth! Especially since most of our meals out now consist of places with toys in the kids meals. ;)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Your day will come, Ted!

8:34 PM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

I'm drooling again, Beth, and it's not just age this time.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home