Monday, November 21, 2005

Walk the Line

First - congrats to Penn State - Big 10 champs. The Michigan-Ohio State game ended badly.

This weekend I got to see the new film Walk the Line - the Johnny Cash story. And I must say - it is outstanding! Joaquin Phoenix is excellent as Cash - and he has some sizzling chemistry with Reese Witherspoon as June Carter. Of course, as we said, these two are definitely more attractive than the originals! I don't think I ever realized that Cash was marketed as another Elvis, as a rock'n'roller, when he started - I just remember him as a country singer. He really was an amazing talent. The film shows how his roots and family really shaped him - and how his love for June saved his life. Phoenix captures his incredible talent, but the film shows how that talent was accompanied by a lot of flaws. And of course the fact that everyone did their own vocals is awesome. Phoenix doesn't really imitate Cash's singing as much as capture it. I love the way June describes his style at one point: "steady like a train, sharp like a razor." And that's just how Phoenix sounds. Walk the Line is definitely going to be on my Top 10 list for the year. I may even have to see it again!

I was so inspired that I actually stopped on the way home and bought a Johnny Cash CD - it's called The Legend of Johnny Cash and has 21 of his top hits. Spans his whole career - even has a cut with U2. I think it's a good "entry-level" Cash CD!