Sunday, December 04, 2005

Yours, Mine and Ours

I grew up in a big family - I was in the middle of six. I still remember seeing this movie for the first time in the early 70s - and thinking, man, somebody has it worse than me!

The original film stars Henry Fonda as a widower with 10 children, who meets and marries the widowed Lucille Ball, who has eight of her own. They move into this massive house - one of my favorite scenes is how Fonda sets up the kids' bedrooms and bathroom assignments based on color and number. Of course, they all come to love each other - the big emotional ending is when each parent legally adopts the other's kids.

I love this movie - it's still one of those guilty pleasure films for me. If I feel down - or just in need of some "comfort food" - this is the film I stick in. Some of my favorite scenes are Fonda's kids spiking Ball's drink so that she gets wrecked; and the "typical" day in the Beardsley household - with poor Phillip always missing out on food or properly sized clothing. Add in a very young and hunky Tim Matheson....

I will not see the remake currently making the rounds. I'm sure this generation's version will appeal to them - looks like lots of slapstick fun a la "Cheaper by the Dozen." And I love Dennis Quaid - he played a similar role in the remake of "The Parent Trap" (which WAS superior to the original). But I can't bring myself to support this! Watch the original instead! As a a matter of fact, I might go do that right now!


Later....
So, I DID go back and watch it! Some notes
  • the original was made in 1968. That means Fonda was 63, Ball was 57. In the film, they have a baby. Don't see that happening in real life! But they did try to make them look late 40s - my mom had a baby at 46, so it COULD happen
  • Breakfast at the Beardsleys: 5 pounds of bacon, 3 dozen eggs and 40 slices of toast!
  • They go on their first date for an Irish coffee (Side note: went to the same place for Irish Coffee in March!) - the price posted was 75 cents!
  • Best line: hippie girl to Fonda as he squeezes by her and apologizes: "That's okay - that's why I come here"!!
  • Bill for several huge carts of groceries: $126.63
Man, I do love this movie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home