Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Harry Potter

I saw the new Harry Potter movie today, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I have to admit, it's been so long since I read this book, I couldn't really remember the plot line. Which is good, I guess. Anyway, it's very dark - the sun rarely shines in it and it's rather murky. Which perfectly sets up the darkness of the plot. I must say, the young actors are becoming half-way decent actors. Even the Weasley twins - who seemed to have initially been cast only because they were red-headed identical twins - have improved one-hundred percent. All have made incredible progress since the first film, and is it creepy for me to say little Daniel Ratcliffe is kind of becoming a hotey?! They continue to make the adult roles a who's-who of the British film and stage industry, which left my favorite Alan Rickman with little screen time.

Director Mike Newell has raised the bar for the next film; I read he's nixxed doing the fifth film. The CGI effects are really awesome - most noticeably, in the quiddich matches and the dragons. And be prepared - the film is two and a half hours long! So don't drink a large Coke before you enter the theater!