Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mr Henry meets the fans

So, I just came across John W. Henry's q-and-a with members of the Sons of Sam Horn board. He logging on in the middle of the night last night, to answer some questions from the fans about the whole Red Sox situation. Very interesting reading. What I found interesting - and compelling - was his statement that he came to Boston to spend the rest of his life building the organization. He went on to say:
There were times in the recent negotiation when Theo was not sure he wanted to do this for the long-term – that was an issue. And there were times he felt we did not value him enough. There were times we felt he was ambivalent and we did not want a GM who did not crave the position. There were times late when we weren’t on the same page monetarily. There were a number of reasons that although I thought for many months this was a slam dunk like the LL negotiation, it became apparent that there were issues.
And I thought this was a very diplomatic response to the passion of RSN:
While controversy seems to be continually linked with the Red Sox, we are all incontrovertibly linked together in our passion to see the Red Sox be an organization of excellence. I want all of you who post here to know that we listen even when we think it best not to comment and we appreciate your dedication to this organization.
Read the whole section on SOSH for some insights into the man who writes the checks. He really made ME feel a lot better about the state of the Nation.

3 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:15 PM  
Blogger sittingstill said...

I'm a big fan of John Henry; we gave him an honorary degree here at BU last May! But I think the less he says about the Theo situation, the better. He handled it reasonably well at the time, but I don't think anyone's well-served by anything other that moving forward. (It's hard to compare a paid employee with an owner, for starters--I would certainly expect a different commitment out of Henry than Theo!)

The skills that serve JWH well in the financial world--the detailed observations, the analysis and understanding of trends based on evidence rather than popular theories--have proven to serve him well in baseball, too. I believe him to have no shortage of personal integrity and honor. And I do understand his appreciation of what Lucchino has accomplished with the various organizations with which he’s been affiliated. But I still wish he’d found a way to keep Theo.

By the way, as a librarian you might also be concerned by this: blogger demands that I type in a "word verification" in order to prove that I am not a robot. However, the word I am now being asked to type is "sgfxuxe." I am reasonably confident this is not a word. Perhaps they ought to ask for "text verification"?

Kelly, pedantically

5:16 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

"But I still wish he’d found a way to keep Theo."

Me, too. But I guess we've got to move on. And as one person commented, this GM by committee certainly has been a little more successful than the bullpen-by-committe!

Hey, my word is vabogbaz! I'm pretty sure that's not a word, either!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home