Sunday, January 29, 2006

True RS Confessions

My name is Beth, and I am addicted to the Boston Red Sox.

I offer this proof: I sat and stared at a computer screen for nearly five hours yesterday, stuck in the Red Sox' Virtual Waiting Room. Every thirty seconds, the browser refreshes - and you MIGHT get into the ticket buying area. In the past, it was possible to open dozens of windows - although I'm not really sure that you bettered your chances by doing it. They seem to have done something to stop that this year - I could never get more than one window open. Fortunately, I do have two different browsers on my computer - so I actually got three windows open (thank you, Firefox). But it still was a waiting game. But, finally, there was the seating chart for Fenway and I was in! And after waiting so long, I happily handed over my credit card info for the best seats money would buy - field boxes right behind home plate!

And here's the further proof - I was really satisfied with tickets to two games. Until I got up this morning. Over my coffee, I was struck with the thought - are two games REALLY enough? The answer: NO! So, back on line - no VWR this time but not great seats either. What the heck - give me bleachers! So my third game I'm in that tiny little sliver of seats in section 34 - right against The Monster!

That done, I went to the mall (way before they open at noon) to do my daily walking. I flicked on the iPod - and what plays first? "Sweet Caroline." For those of you who have tragically never been to a game at Fenway, in the middle of the 8th inning at every home game, they play "Sweet Caroline." Everyone sings along at the top of their lungs - especially the whoa-whoa-whoa part of the refrain. (At one game I went to, they tried to cut off the song early because the visiting pitcher was ready - and the crowd just kept singing). Anyway, the song came on and I started singing along. When I got to the whoa-whoa-whoa part, I actually got teary - I'm going to be there hearing it again this summer. My life is ssoo good!!

I really thought the obsession was easing. I feel like I spent all of last year caught in the spell of the Red Sox - from the beginning of Spring Training until the last sad ending in October. Actually, I think the spell was cast during the playoffs in '04 - and it carried through the off-season. I spent so much time rewatching the playoffs on my pirated DVDs, and watching the archives of old games on mlb.com. Then, through that wonderful tool called Direct TV and their MLB Extra Innings package - I think I broke records for hours of RS games watched. Seriously, out of the 162 games last year, I think I missed maybe fifteen, twenty tops. Heck, Manny Ramirez missed more games than I did! When I started turning down opportunities to go out on Friday and Saturday nights so I could watch, I knew I was hooked!

This off-season has been totally different. Maybe it's been all the turmoil in the Front Office at 4 Yawkey Way, or the departure of most of our '04 champions, but I was feeling so-so about the upcoming 2006 season. But when the magical day that tickets go on sale arrived, I was just as jazzed as last year. Now I'm counting the days until I get to go back to Fenway - hey, it's only six months away!

3 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

So... when is next year's trip to Boston? ^_^

I had to "spend" my allotment on Phillies games, since I promised Amy I'd get them for when she and her buddies come up (same group that went to Baltimore in September). Even though I got in after about an hour, when I tried to get 4 tickets together, the only sets left were in upper center field--literally under the Jumbotron! I got them in pairs instead--life goes on. I did pick up a couple of singles the next day.

I'm getting restless without being able to take pictures!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I've got tickets for July 31 - August 2nd. Those games at the trading deadline these past two years have been SSOO dramatic that I figured that might be a good time to go!

I wondered how many tickets you were trying for...guess you'll pick up others later?

We miss your pix, too! Can't wait for some ST eye candy!

4:10 PM  
Blogger sittingstill said...

I have a couple of singles then... oh, wait, maybe I have Anaheim that weekend. I think I have one of the Cleveland games. I'll be there, I'm sure! ^_^ Generally I just pick up tickets during the year as singles pop up. I click on a few dates on the schedule at lunch every day and see if there's anything I like. Seats turn up in pre-homestand ticket dumps, returns from group sales, etc. It's relatively easy as long as you don't mind sitting "alone" (or as alone as you can be with 35,000 other fans!).

I was stressing a little about the Remy games before I really thought about how much I hate the bleachers (except for the ones in straight center field). I think I'd be just as happy getting grandstand seats and then visiting!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home