Sunday, January 13, 2008

Piaf & La Vie En Rose

Last week, I got the chance to see a bio-pic from last year, called "La Vie En Rose." It's the story of French singer Edith Piaf, who had an amazing and amazingly sad life. The film features an absolutely incredible performance by Marion Cotillard, who should win a Golden Globe at tonight's "press conference." I visited her grave years ago in Paris - she's buried in the famous Pere Lachaise Cemetary, and her grave is always covered in flowers. She was that beloved in France.

Ever since I've seen it, I can't get one of the songs out of my head. No, not her theme song "La Vie En Rose," but one of her equally acclaimed themes, "Je Ne Regrette Rien" = I regret nothing. I love the way she trills her "r" in it, and the message behind the song, especially in light of what I now know about her personal life. It's very weird to have such an "ear worm" (a song you can't get out of your head) that is in another language, especially one in which you lost your semi-fluency years ago!

Anyway, here's a clip of the great Piaf, from YouTube:



I dare you to watch this, read the English translation of the words, and not get chills!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger beckperson said...

Beth, that is just fantastic! I have heard of Edith Piaf, and probably have heard her sing this song somewhere. But I've never read the translation nor seen her sing. WOW!
She kinda reminds me of a French Judy Garland, one of my favorite all-time singers.

Have you ever seen or heard the soundtrack from "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris"? Kind of similar music that I also love. Nice post, now I have to see that movie, since the actress did win the GG last night.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

She is very much like Judy - unlucky in love, a bbiiggg drinker. Was in several car wrecks that pretty much ruined her health.

I'm not familiar with the Jacques Brel show - I'll check with my French teacher friend! I think that Brel may have been one of Piaf's protegies - I know she discovered Charles Aznevour.

2:43 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ray ban sunglasses
pandora jewelry
nike free 5
saints jerseys
oakley sunglasses
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
chicago bulls
coach outlet online
cheap nike shoes
2017.5.6

10:21 PM  
Blogger 520 said...

ralph lauren outlet
ralph lauren shirts
supreme clothing
coach outlet
dsquared
coach outlet
hermes belt
pandora outlet
nike requin pas cher

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home