Sunday, April 06, 2008

The painter of light (blech)

I loathe Thomas Kinkade, the self-named "painter of light." I think his art is pure crap, really not art at all. He paints one scene, then cranks out thousands of copies, with fake brush strokes to imitate real art. Further, he has found a way to market himself to the masses, appealing to those with really no taste in art. He's also found a way to tap into in to the Christian market - selling himself through Christian publications as the wonderful Christian who you need to collect. He convinces "common folk" that if you buy one of his mass-produced pieces, you have taste. And better yet, if you cough up so more money, you can have a worker in one of his sweat shops paint "highlights" on your masterpiece. It's such an incredible racket - and I find his pictures (I can't call them paintings) treacly and amateurish.

That said, I was out at the mall today, and what should I spy with my little eye:


Yes, the painter of light has produced a portrait of Fenway during the World Series. And it's actually not bad. Not that I'd waste thousands on it, but it just shows how much the Red Sox have permeated popular culture, how they've become the "it" team of this century.

Which somewhat makes me sad....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger sittingstill said...

Of course, you do realize that he's already done Yankee Stadium, right? ^_~

7:54 PM  
Blogger Ted D said...

Yankee Stadium?

Eww....

Beth, being in the furniture industry, I run into his stuff a lot.

You hit the nail on the head.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home