Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Ring Ceremony

All photos from Getty Images/Pool photographers
So, the rings have been distributed. What a beautiful day! The Baseball Channel over on mlb.com actually broadcast the whole ceremony over the Internet - so I was able to watch it live! (Although I also DVR'd it and I'm settling to watch and cry all over again)

Some great photos on the day - but the best should come later from Kelly. In the meantime, I'm satisfying myself with these. I think the one above is one of my favs - such a wonderful expression of delight from a vet receiving his second ring.

According to John Henry, David Ortiz was consulted on the ring design - and recommended more bling! Here he shows off his two rings.

There were many fabulous moments in the ceremony - including Pesky and Papi raising the World Champions banner. A weepy moment. As was this one:

Bill Buckner returns to Fenway Park for the first time since 1990. For many years, Buckner was made the scapegoat for the Red Sox' loss of the 1986 World Series. During game 6, he let a Mookie Wilson single go thru his legs, allowing the Mets to score the game winning run. But, really, there were so many factors that led to that loss. And in many ways, Buckner's gaffe became the trademark image for our hapless Red Sox.

It was great to have him back. He's someone who's really suffered - undeservedly. He really was a good player in his day and it was so terrific of the RS Front Office to acknowledge and celebrate his many contributions to the team.

And doesn't Dwight Evans look fine??

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

I hope I look as good as Dewey at that age.

Somehow I doubt it.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Tex said...

I woulda SO been a fangirl if I was a fan during Dewey's day. DAYYYYYYUMMMM.

Glad Bill made it back to Fenway and it was as good for him as it was for the fans.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home