Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Review: Sex and the City

I must begin with a disclaimer - or maybe, just an explanation. I was never a fan of the "Sex and the City" tv series. Partly it's because I didn't have HBO while it was being broadcast - and couldn't see subscribing for the amount I'd watch the other stuff on the channel. I also have to admit to being a bit embarrassed at times by some of the stuff in the show. Some of it got a bit dicey for this little Catholic girl.

However, in 2006, my buddy Holly asked for all the seasons on DVD for Christmas- she loved it. What she didn't get for Christmas, she bought herself, so she had them all. And over the course of the next few months - mostly over Christmas and Winter Breaks from school - I watched the whole series. And really enjoyed it. I can't say I really related to any particular character, but I found the whole basis for the series - the friendships between women - to really resonate with me.

So today, Holly and I caught a matinee. And I loved the movie! I knew I'd laugh and nod my head in recognition at times. But I was caught off-guard by the poignancy of the story - and hadn't anticipated needing all the kleenex I did. These comfortable friends are still having their ups and downs - Samantha is unhappy that she's in a happy monogamous relationship; Charlotte is blissfully enjoying marriage and motherhood; Miranda is trying to juggle it all and losing her husband in the process; and Carrie is planning her wedding to Mr. Big.

I don't think I'll be spoiling anything by saying all ends well. It's great to see all four find themselves again - to reconnect with the women they were at the start of the series. Older, perhaps a little wiser, yes, but no longer feeling like they need to fill a niche, to be something they're not. All four leads slip easily back into their characters, and it's fun to see some of the familiar supporting players (including Mr. Big!). Jennifer Holliday is a neat addition as Carrie's assistant Louise, just delightful.

If you weren't a fan of the series, you will probably be lost at first. They give a quick overview of each character and where they are three years after the end of the series. Should a guy see it? Perhaps under the category of "know they adversary", maybe. But I think your gal would be much happier to see it with some of her close pals!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger HorshamScouse said...

How you must love having a friend called Holly!

How else would you get to use the line: "However, in 2006, my buddy Holly asked for all the seasons on DVD for Christmas- she loved it"?

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home