Sunday, September 07, 2008

Happy Birthday, Old Friend

Those of you know me well know that I am not a scary cat lady. Yes, I have a cat, but I don't let that stop me from having a regular life. When I go out of town, friends step in and care for her, and she is generally oblivious. As long as the water bowl and the food dish are full, she goes about her regular routine of sleeping, eating and pooping.

However, today is Agatha's 16th birthday! It's hard to believe it was that long ago that I was introduced to her by her human parents - colleagues who had adopted a stray cat, only to discover she was pregnant. Suddenly, I found my heart grabbed by this (then) tiny black cat.

Of course, since then she's gotten much bigger! I think she's about 16 pounds now, and starting to feel the effects of age. She's slowed down - and she can't jump as high as she used to. The vet says she's starting to have kidney failure - which explains the amount of water she consumes. Still, her numbers have actually improved this year - and she sure seems happy and healthy.

She is a great companion. She curls up next to me on cold winter nights, and loves to watch the Red Sox with me (although her attention wanders very quickly). She is quite a talker as well - when she gets on a talking spree, I love to say to her "Sully" - to which she replies "Meow" (close to Mac!) [Sorry, an insider's joke for NESN watchers]

And here she shares her opinion of both the Rays and the Yankees:

So, happy birthday Agatha - named for Agatha Christie, of course!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Happy Birthday to Agatha, Beth!

Byrd is giving me hives...

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home