Monday, October 20, 2008

Congratulations to the Rays

(Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

Congratulations to the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays for winning the American League Pennant. Yes, I'm sad the Sox couldn't pull off the victory in game 7 last night, but I have to admit, the Rays had the better team this year. They just looked hungrier this whole series. The Sox were hampered by injuries this year, and the team just looked tired by last night.

But I'm also excited about the way they played this year. What a fantastic season of memories they gave us! From the opening in Japan (who can forget THOSE early mornings!) to Lester's no-hitter - the All-Star game - Manny's 500th - Manny's trade - the arrival of Jason Bay - all those gut-wrenching games in September - battling through injury after injury - and ending with that fantastic, memorable 7-game ALCS. Not to mention, my various road trips around the season with them - Baltimore, Cincinnati, Tampa, Boston. My first in-person Yankees-Red Sox game at Fenway. Wow.

I must admit that, as far as I'm concerned, the season is over now. I don't have much interest in watching the World Series - not a Phillies fan, torn about whether to cheer for the AL representative - and certainly NOT interested in listening to McCarver and Buck for two weeks. I also have real doubts that the Series will be able to capture the excitement and drama of this AL Championship Series. I feel like I've just had a fantastic meal at a gourmet restaurant - I'm satisfied, full, happy. The desserts looked tempting, but it just might push me over the edge into the "I'm-so-full-I-feel-sick" category. Better to wipe your mouth, pay the bill, and push away from the table. Plenty of time later to wish you'd ordered more - you're happy now.

[PS - I posted the above photo for one reason. The fellow in the middle is Matthew Silverman, President of the Rays. Wow!]

2 Comments:

Blogger Tex said...

fine. Congrats. ::pouts::
Next Year!!!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Ted D said...

Beth, Silverman looks like he just started shaving! I agree with you, though. They played a great season of baseball.

I won't cheer for them, though. GO PHILLIES!!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home