Thursday, March 05, 2009

The end of the latest episode of Dramirez

Manny's signed. Whoopee. For the same deal he rejected last week. Ooops.

Once upon a time I was a Manny lover. I loved to watch him hit. I loved to watch him try to chase down balls in the outfield. I loved to watch him pop into the Green Monster for a break. I loved to watch him cut up with his teammates. I loved his childlike enthusiasm for hitting, for the game, and his unique view of life.

Now, I see him as just another greedy ballplayer. There's part of me that's happy to see him get his comeuppance - and to see Boras fail. And if I had even a slight bit of admiration left in me for Manny, it was killed by this report on his press conference today. Some of the lowlights:

"I’ve already made my money." [This was repeated several times]
"Hey, sometimes it’s better off to have a two-year deal in a place that you’re going to be happy than have an eight-year deal in a place where you’re going to suffer. So I’m happy, I’m moving on with my life."
(Are you going to opt-out) “No, not yet"

At least he's not our problem any more. I think when Theo traded Manny, he added 15 years to Terry Francona's life.

And I swear this is my last post about Manny Ramirez ever.

I need something to cleanse my palate. How about this

[Sorry - "embedding turned off ;( ]

Or maybe some of the Baseball Project [I've almost worn out this CD. This isn't my favorite cut of the cd - that honor goes to "Ted F-----g Williams" - but this is a good sample

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Beth,

The whole thing just makes me sad.

Ciera and I used to sit together and laugh at Manny being Manny.

Turns out it wasn't so funny after all.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home