Saturday, December 16, 2006

Review: The Holiday

Today I indulged in a total chick flick. You know, people use that term "chick flick" in derogatory terms - but to me, it's like a comfort food. Sometimes you just need a light weight romantic film to fill a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. And this film totally fits the bill.

Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet are two love-challenged singletons, who decide to swap houses for Christmas vacation. Winslet has a lovely, quaint cottage in Surrey, and Diaz has a fantastic Malibu mansion, complete with pool and gym. Of course, romantic complications ensue - Diaz meets and falls for Iris' brother, and Winslet meets a movie composer. The typical complications follow until the happy ending, of course.

All of the leads are attractive! But the stand-out is Jude Law as Graham. I don't think he's every played such an attractive romantic lead. Okay, he's totally hot. Hot to the point that I've already been on-line looking for a house swap of my own! He was charming, handsome, sexy...wow! (Of course, I have to admit in the interest of full disclosure, that even Jack Black looked pretty hot in this movie! I must be in a mood).

Oh, and I must mention an outstanding supporting role by Eli Wallach. He plays an old Hollywood film writer who takes Iris under his wing. A really lovely character - although, as my friend Holly said to me half-way through, "I thought he was dead"!

So, in the midst of this hectic holiday time, if you're looking for something to divert you and entertain you, drop by the movie theater and take in this lovely confection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home