Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bronx bombshells

Getty Images photo by Nick Laham

So, we've played the New York Yankees six times in the last two weeks - and we've won five of those games. I know it's only April - repeat, it's only April! - but I can still feel great, can't I??

Yesterday's game was the only low spot - we lost 3-1. The game was broadcast nationally on Fox - and I got to watch it! Never was I so glad to listen to McCarver and Buck! I just wish the final had been in our favor.

But today we turned it back on. Of the three games, I was sure this would be the dicey one - we had Julian Tavarez starting for us. I know he gets some negative feedback on the RS blogs - but, he's certainly an adequate fifth starter. He eats up innings, saving our bull pen - and he pitched 5 innings - 5 hits and 3 runs - which, against the Yankees, I think is pretty respectable.

We had three homers today. Two were no surprise - Manny and Ortiz. But, CORA?? His homer was a complete surprise - and then a triple?? I think Dustin Pedrioa is very talented - the future of our franchise. But how can you deny Cora playing time? He's definitely got the hot bat right now. Tito has some big questions to answer about who is our second baseman.

I had to listen to the YES Network today - that was the station of choice on Extra Innings. Michael Kay is a total homer - and incredibly annoying. But the other two announcers were (formerly, briefly, a RS) John Flaherty and pitcher Al Leiter (who is best remember for his stint with Fox during the '04 World Series). These two are really good - lend some real insights to the broadcast, and they play off each other in terms of information really well. Made wonder what it would be like if NESN got a former player to join Orsillo and Remy in the booth. (Calling Kevin Millar)

One of my fav moments: when Ortiz was batting, Kay starting asking why he's so beloved. He sounded so disappointed and confused that "everyone" in the league seems to love him. Leiter said that when he'd seen Papi earlier, Papi had enveloped him in a big hug and laughed and smiled with him. Leiter said, how can you not love a guy like that? Kay said, well, the Yankees have a player like that, who everyone loves. Oh - who is that? Jason Giambi!! Now, yes, Giambi is usually voted one of the Player Favorites - but he's hardly universally loved like Papi is!

So day off Monday. Phew. And nice that it was an afternoon game. Last week's Sunday night game put me at an incredible sleep deficit all week!

In first place....it's only April, but I love it!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home