Monday, December 15, 2008

Legacy in the Senate?

(Photo: Chitose Suzuki/AP Wide World)

I grew up in a typical New England, Irish-Catholic family. Six kids, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup on Fridays, and two pictures on the wall. One of Jesus Christ, the other of John F. Kennedy.

My dad idolized JFK. They were the same age, both grew up in Massachusetts (albeit on opposite ends of the financial spectrum), both were in the Navy in the South Pacific during WWII. I think my dad saw what could have been in JFK. So, my admiration for the Kennedys was instilled in utero.

I have always particularly admired Caroline Kennedy. So much like her mother, she's lived through a host of family tragedies, yet she has handled herself with grace and serenity. And still remains down to earth - the mother of three, she's quietly worked to raise funds for New York City public schools. When called upon, she's used her family name to support her favorite cause or favorite candidate - one of the key moments in this past presidential campaign was her throwing her support behind Obama.

Now, it seems she's interested in filling the soon to be vacant post of US Senator from New York - taking over when Hilary Clinton becomes Secretary of State. Senator Clinton's people are (understandably) unenthused about Kennedy - they feel she betrayed their candidate. But I like the idea of another Kennedy in the Senate - and a Kennedy of my generation. There's a certain symmetry to the choice - this is the seat her uncle Robert Kennedy once held, and we wouldn't lose a woman in the Senate. Her chief rival is Andrew Cuomo, ex-husband of her cousin Kerry Kennedy, and a candidate with a great deal of public service experience. Either choice would do the state proud.

But I sentimentally lean towards Kennedy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger HorshamScouse said...

I think I like the idea too, Beth.
A next-generation Kennedy entering the Senate as the last of the previous generation is about to leave.

I find it odd, though, that US states allow appointees in circumstances like this. Full-blown run-off elections would be the norm in the UK.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home