Thursday, December 11, 2008

More odds and ends

  • I was thinking this morning that five years ago, if someone had mentioned the Winter Meetings to me, I would have assumed they were talking about the MidWinter Meetings of the American Library Association.
  • A poster on SoSH says
Buster Olney on Sportscenter:"The Red Sox have checked around to see if there's a landing spot for Lowell and the answer is yes."
That makes me sad. I know that Teixeira will be a powerful addition to our lineup. I know it's smart for Theo to put out statements like that to keep the other teams guessing. But I'd really miss Lowell. It's funny how he's become my favorite player of late - I just like the way he plays the game. Tough, all out, with his whole heart. And reading his book made me really respect him as a person, as well. Yes, Youk can play 3rd - and will throw his whole bearded self into making himself the best third baseman in the game. But it will hurt to see Mikey in another uniform.
  • Speaking of uniforms, the Sox will announce at 6pm today some changes to their unis. Rumor has it that it will involve a new away uniform, as well as an alternative cap. Interesting.
  • I have eaten too many cookies today. The parents gave us all 3 dozen Christmas cookies. Both yum and yuck, if you know what I mean.
  • Golden Globe nominees announced today. How can "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" be nominated when it's not being released until December 25th? Or "Doubt," which isn't coming out until January? I hope they've seen an advance viewing, and just aren't judging by who the stars are or what the advance buzz is.
  • This past weekend, Netflix sent me a BBC miniseries called "State of Play." It was broadcast in 2003, and is now being made into a feature film with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck. I can't imagine that the film could improve on the original: it is outstanding! I was on the edge of my seat the whole 6 hours. It's a thriller. A young researcher for an MP apparently throws herself under a train. It soon becomes clear that she was sleeping with the MP, whose life starts to unravel during the ensuing scandal. A journalist - who happens to be the former campaign manager for said MP - starts sniffing around, and soon uncovers an ever widening circle of corruption.
The cast is awesome. Bill Nighy is the newspaper editor - smarmy and yet focused on finding the answers. He has some great toss-off lines - which you know he delivers just right. David Morrissey plays the MP - you feel so sorry for him, and yet... My favorite, without a doubt, is John Simm as the reporter - sympathetic and unsympathetic in turns - just right the blend.

If you're looking for a great thriller, check this out. But be prepared to lose a large of chunk of time, because you won't be able to turn it off.

  • And finally, if you need some inspiration to get you through until the weekend, look no further than this (thanks to Josh Blue for the link)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

Beth, that clip Josh linked is awesome!

And I wasn't sure I'd like the new uniforms, but I'm kind of digging the blue jerseys a little.

9:03 PM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

State of Play was brilliant. You characterised Bill Nighy exactly.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home