Friday, September 11, 2009

Jeter.....but maybe not

Okay, I REALLY had the intention of posting something positive about **shudder** Derek Jeter today. My hatred of all things Yankee - and, especially, of Derek Jeter - is well documented. But, his achievement Wednesday night - tying Gehrig's record for most hits ever by a Yankee - is really something. I planned to give a shout-out to an admirable adversary, a true competitor, one of the great players of this era, someone you begrudgingly admire.

But, that was Wednesday. Today is Friday. Good feelings quickly fade...especially after I saw a Prime 9 special on the MLB Network this morning while working out. The 9 greatest comebacks in MLB history. Number 1? Of course - 2004, RS come back and kick some Yankee behinds.

How quickly my benevolent feelings dissipated.

And I began to think about the 2009 edition of the RS. Do you see some deja vu? The Rockies are charging thru the NL - on an incredible tear. 2007? The Yankees have dominated the AL East, and it seems that the Sox might clinch the Wild Card. 2004? Our bullpen looks poised to be pretty damned unhittable in the post-season. 2004? Our offense seems to be awakening from their nap. 2004?

So, screw Jeter and screw the Yankees. I really, really, really want to see Mike Lowell holding up that WS trophy again this year. I want to see that dancing fool, Papelbon, performing. I want to see how Victor Martinez reacts to his first WS ring. I want to sit, mesmerized, in front of my tv, ignoring McCarver & Buck, tears streaming down my face, while I watch MY team, MY Boston Red Sox be triumphant.

Tonight, the march to October begins.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Matty said...

I join you in your despise of the Yankees. And I would absolutely love to see them bow out early in the post season.

And the best part would be ignoring McCarver and Buck.

6:55 PM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

It pisses me off that some of the records Jeter's taking belonged to Gehrig, easily ten times the ballplayer Jeter is.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

And of course, there's no telling what those records would have been in Gehrig hadn't become ill

5:07 PM  
Blogger BennyAnders said...

why are sox fans such pathetic losers ? show some respect to someone who is a first ballot hall of famer

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

retro jordans
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet online
adidas ultra boost
yeezy boost 350
nike roshe uk
nike air max thea
michael kors outlet
kobe basketball shoes
michael kors outlet

9:21 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

pandora charms
kobe 9 elite
cheap ray bans
golden state warriors jerseys
polo ralph lauren
fitflops sale
michael kors handbags
jaguars jersey
nike store
buffalo bills jerseys
2017.5.6

10:19 PM  
Blogger chenlili said...

uggs
timberland boots
ray ban
nfl jerseys wholesale
ugg
coach outlet
ugg canada
coach handbags
ugg boots
moncler jackets
20181.23chenjinyan

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home