Thursday, May 25, 2006

Turn frowns upside down

(AP Photo by Elise Amendola)

One of my favorite interviews during the celebration of the Red Sox victory over the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS was the one with the MVP, David Ortiz. He said that what had inspired him was the sad faces of the fans after the game 3 loss. He wanted to turn those tears into smiles. Well, that's how I feel about Big Papi today. That picture above makes me so sad. He left the bases loaded in the 8th last night against the Yankees, but the whole game was a downer for him. He's so clutch that we sometimes forget that he IS human, not a homerun hitting android (although he does seem like that at times!). And this picture makes me think it's hard for him to deal with, too.

I hope that the next few games will provide him with a turn around. Hey, we've got four games against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays! I know they relish their roles as Sox Killers, but I think a good old-fashioned thumping of them is what we need. So, come on guys, let's swap that picture above for this: