Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Random Wednesday Thoughts

Globe Photo by Jim Davis
1) Last night's game against the A's was a slight return to reality after the Yankee series. We actually led 4-0 at one point - but ended up losing in ten innings, 5-4. Jonathan Papelbon had his first blown save of the year. Yes, he's not perfect - which seems to have taken some people by surprise. He was perfect in April - and I guess we thought it would continue. Totally unrealistic, I know. And maybe it'll do him - and us - a world of good to have him fail. And happening this early in the season isn't going to hurt us. That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

2) Mike Lowell is using a new glove. He seems to be punishing his regular game glove for causing him to make errors!

3) One of the sickening parts of last night was seeing Schilling waste a decent outing. He's looking more and more like the Schill of 2004 - which is a fantastic sign.

4) Nick Cafardo has a great article about Terry Francona in today's Globe. His premise is:
But even the skeptical minority would have to say Terry Francona is managing this year about as well as any manager in the history of the franchise.
Hmm.. I agree he's doing a great job managing his players right now. And he's certainly built an impressive track record in the past three years. But I'm going to wait a little bit longer to call him the greatest.

5) When he pitched against us in the 2004 World Series, I knew Julian Tavarez was a little loopy. Punching a wall with your pitching hand as your team is heading into the post-season is NOT a wise or sane decision. And one of the first times we saw him in a Red Sox uniform, he was taking a swing at Joey Gathright. But he continues to endear himself to me. He could be this year's Millar - lightening up the locker room, always with the great quote. Like in today's Herald:
As for his own status, Tavarez is content. “I’m just taking one day at a time and I’m ready for anything. I’ll do anything. If they say clean the office I’ll go clean the office. As long as I have my uniform I’m a member of the Red Sox.”
Aww.

6) Trying not to revel in the Yankees' problems. But I have to admit to feeling a little sorry for their pitchers. They all seem to be wearing a target on their backs. After we broke their started Karstens on Saturday, now their hot prospect Hughes has gone down with a pulled hamstring. Sad too because he was pitching a no-hitter into the 7th. At the time of his call-up, I worried that they were pushing him too soon - that's basically what happened with Hansen last year. But they really had no choice - they have few other options for starting pitching. This will certainly make the Clemens chase interesting.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home