Saturday, September 30, 2006

2 to go

So it comes down to this. Two games left to play in 2006. Against the Baltimore Orioles and old man Millar. In a dead tie (at this moment) with Toronto for 2nd place. Yikes.

I was thinking back to last year. I wasn't able to see much of the playoffs - I was at a conference in Pittsburgh, was on a plane for one game and on a boat for the other. The third and final game I watched in my hotel room, with two beers from room service portraying the part of my dinner. It was so sad - especially since I couldn't see the home broadcast. Couldn't see the year end highlights, the last post-game interviews in the locker room.

This year: Hey, I'm home and in front of my 5000 Direct TV stations. I can watch any team I want. Any post-season game. The reality is: I'll watch the last two games , drink too many vodka tonics, and wish they were going to play more. I'll probably tape the last two games - only because I might want to relive the season sometime in the depths of winter. Because I might want to see Trot's last games. See the dynamic Lowell in action. See the fun in the dugout. Wish for a different outcome to the season.

And look forward to 2007. I'm hoping Theo's already busy on the phones. Finding us some pitching. Keeping our dynamic defensive infield intact as much as possible. Planning to obliterate those (*&$#$ Yanks.

Is it wrong for me to want to see the Yankees go down in flames this post-season? To wish that Damon suffers some kind of career ending injury or that Jeter gets hit squarely by a pitch? To hope that A-Rod plays down to everyone's expectations and gets booed out of NYC?

If wishing for that is wrong, I don't want to be right!