Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Every Day is Remy Day - if you're lucky

AP Photo by Winslow Townson

Today, they are celebrating Jerry Remy's 20 years as a broadcaster with NESN. Some of us are old enough to remember him back in his playing days - another local boy who lived out every New England boy's dream of playing for the Red Sox. (You see another one who did it above - Carlton Fisk). As I recall, he was a fair player - no Hall of Famer, certainly, but a good journeyman player, one who played tough enough to earn the name "Rem Dawg."

But it's been in the broadcast booth that his place in New England legend/folklore has been born. It's a hoot to look back at him in those early days with Ken Coleman - with a voice not yet tainted by 20 years of cigarette smoking. He seems to have the gift of making his partner in the booth even better.

I wasn't able to see those broadcasts until recently, thanks to DirecTV and the MLB Extra Innings package. My enjoyment has been greatly expanded this year, as EI seems to be offering the NESN broadcast for every game - no more suffering through the home broadcasts when the Sox are on the road. Remy and DO make every game - even a blow out or a heartbreaker - a total entertainment experience!

I'm looking forward to many more broadcasts - although I get nervous that some national network will come to their senses and poach him. On the other hand, I think Remy likes being a big fish in a small pond, one who can expand his empire at will. As a matter of fact, I believe they are even opening a RemDawg Restaurant in Logan Airport later this year! Bon appetit, amigos!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted D said...

I heard Jerry Remy.

I cracked up tonight when Rene Russo called into the booth and Remy does the "How YOU doin'?" line!

8:23 PM  
Blogger HorshamScouse said...

I keep hoping mlb.tv will offer 'your team' options so I could select NESN for every game.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home